Monday, March 12, 2012

God Talk at Oakridge Mall San Jose

On Saturday March 10 and Sunday March 11 many from Hillview Bible Chapel went out in faith at Oakridge Mall in San Jose and manned a kiosk in the main walkway between the shops. Their goal was to share the Gospel with shoppers  by handing out dvds, tracts, Gospels of Johns, and asking thought provoking survey questions regarding the Bible and Jesus Christ.








9 comments:

  1. I have been blessed to be in a position to be around the God Talk kiosk much more than anyone else. My job was one of support and did not man the kiosk much since we had 39 volunteers. It was a joy watching so many of the volunteers reaching out to the shoppers passing by. Many times I got to witness the excitement in the aftermath of a volunteer's recounting of what transpired between them and a shopper as they filled out the surveys. The Lord has been doing a wonderful work through a relatively small table in the middle of a mall! Praise God! Mike G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been blessed to participate in the God Talk kiosk few times. It is blessing to talk and see people's reaction of God. I was blessed couple of times to led some of the shoppers to the Lord. It was really exciting and encouraging to me as I love to share the Lord to the World. The Lord has been teaching and helping me through this. Praise God for His wonderful love and work! Lalita

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Talk in the Mall was a challenge just in the sense of starting conversations with people who have their minds on other things (i.e. shopping)...My wife and I have done it twice now and were able to have some good conversations with a few people (individually and sometimes in groups of two or more). One conversation I had with two young men from Iran was eye-opening. The one man said he had never really thought about God or heaven or hell. I shared the good news with them that there is a God who loves them that sent His Son Jesus to die for our sins and we all need forgiveness of sins through Christ. After some conversation, they said they were not ready to make a commitment to Jesus as their Savior at that time, but they were willing to each take a NT and Gospel of John. I told them to read and honestly seek for truth and God will bless and guide them; got their e-mail to follow-up. Other conversations led to the answer that people "hoped" they got to heaven because they are "working on it" or trying to do good. It's sad that many people either have no thought or misguided thoughts concerning eternity and forgiveness of sins. Thankfully we serve a just and loving God who desires that all should come to repentance. The Holy Spirit also works through God's Word and we continue to pray that He will use the seeds that were planted in many hearts this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May God bless you for your faithful service in the name of Jesus!
    Please pray for us as we continue the work at Oakridge mall.

    BLESSINGS, Rich & Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first got into the mall I was pretty nervous, but I was encouraged by the fact that even in the conversations that *didn't* happen, I was sometimes able to pass out a tract or a dvd which could plant seeds in the future. A lot of people who turned me down for conversation or material still appreciated me just telling them to have a good saturday, and that also encouraged me because simply being polite to someone while being associated with a kiosk that says "Godtalk" can plant seeds. Overall Godtalk seemed to be more of a slice of the discipleship call, where we are expected to commit ourselves to making disciples of all nations. God really encouraged me that this was more meaningful than anything else I could be doing that day,and I look forward to doing it again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was also pretty nervous when I first got there, but as we began, it got a lot easier. It was hard to get rejected, but it was awesome to be able to turn to the other person and have them encourage you. teamwork! I wasn't sure if I would do well if I got into a deep conversation, but I didn't end up getting into one. I was able to pass out quite a good amount of material. I also only did about 3 surveys, which I just let the people fill out themselves. I think next time I will read the questions to them, so that we can actually have a conversation. The two hours flew by! I really did enjoy my time at the kiosk, I will for sure do it again next year and pray for more conversations. -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was glad to be able to be part of God Talk, and I think it's an important witness to the community. Many people took the dvds, magazines and tracts and overall, everyone was most polite, even when they refused. Even if we do not see the fruit, God can use what was planted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God Talk in the mall makes me think of the Apostle Paul bringing the Gospel to the marketplace. I believe that our interactions at God Talk are divine appointments. God orchestrated the encounters with the people who stopped by (and perhaps even some who walked by) and we got the privilege of giving witness for Jesus just because we were there. In the folks that I talked with I was struck with the awesomeness that there was in encouraging awareness of Jesus and relationship with Jesus in their lives. Some interactions by God's grace were sowing or watering or reaping. Some interactions were encouragement to believers. One mother with her young daughter asked prayer for her husband who just started to join them attending church. One young man told me that he had already investigated what the Bible had to say about Jesus without being converted. I exhorted him to keep on seeking out concerning Jesus knowing he hasn't reached the right conclusion of bowing his knees to the Lord. One other young man told me he was a man of faith. When I asked him who or what his faith was in he was puzzled by my question and eventually responded that his faith was in the principles he had been taught. Inthen shared with him about my being in Jesus. Well, I know God was there talking at God Talk and what joy that God was using our voices and lives to do sone of His talking. I am humbled and awestruck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was too nervous about God Talk. I spent sometime praying beforehand for the Lord to give me an opportunity to get into at least one good conversation; He definitely answered! I handed out DVD's, but was not able to get into many any good conversations at first. Like Amy said, I was very thankful to have brothers and sisters in Christ encouraging me :) People coming by were busy or not interested. Then God brought a Lady and her daughter and gave me an opportunity that I had prayed for. We talked a bit and prayed together about some things weighing heavy on her heart. I can see God wanted to use the lady to teach me something: to see that people are so dry and desperate, that they'd be willing to open up to s stranger about the things they care about. Please pray for the lady. She goes to a big church in the area, but does not have a clear understanding of the Gospel. She said she was interested in talking more about Christ. Please pray for an opportunity to share the Gospel with her. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.